In an unusual turn of events, we had nothing specific planned for dinner tonight. There were a few things in the fridge, but nothing in particular, and nothing that seemed like it could have a meal built around it.
And then I thought: tapas!
In about 45 minutes I banged out the following small plates:
- Steamed and sauteed brocolli with garlic and chiles.
- Chorizo and sweet red peppers sauteed in olive oil.
- Patatas bravas (roasted potato chunks with a Spanish style chili sauce).
- Big chunks of smoked salmon (not gravlax; actual smoked salmon).
- Olives and pickled onions.
- Two cheeses.
- Sliced chiabatta.
- A nice bottle of Argentinian Malbec (OK, that wasn’t a plate).
Here’s to improvising!