Jan 09 2007

The trouble with the iPhone

By now everyone is losing their minds over the new Apple iPhone, which was announced at MacWorld 2007 this morning. It does look pretty sweet. There’s only one problem; the iPhone’s “official” service provider is Cingular – and in order to use Cingular you have to sign away your legal right to sue them.

That’s right. The Consumerist is reporting that Cingular has changed its contract so that users are required to waive their right to sue Cingular by trial and jury, as well as their right to be part of a class-action suit against Cingular. Specifically, the new contract forces users to agree to dispute resolution via informal measures, small claims court, or binding arbitration only. No judge and jury, no class action suits.

There you go. In the land of the free, a mobile phone user contract frees you from your rights. Fortunately, you are also free to trot over to another GSM service provider for your iPhone, such as T-Mobile. It will likely require a hack or two, but hey, if I can do that anyone can.

Categorized under Communication,Web/Tech

15 Comments on “The trouble with the iPhone”

1. c'est Raoulon 09 Jan 2007 at 1:55 pm

iCrap…

It’s sad to see Apple is not more different than the rest of the bunch now.
    It survived thanks to its followers. Not sure this will be true much longer…

2. bremon 09 Jan 2007 at 2:04 pm

I’m not convinced this waiver is legal.

3. Jorgeon 09 Jan 2007 at 2:07 pm

I don’t see how “it is sad to see apple is not more different than the rest”… not only are they innovating in every sense… but the change on the contracts was made by Cingular to cover their a$$es

4. mareon 09 Jan 2007 at 3:02 pm

Unlocking doesn’t make much sense if you have a 2 year contract. And since Apple will probably do business with Rogers (or Fido, but that is owned by Rogers) and the current price for a 50 MB/month Crackberry plan is $95 dollar! And with photos and Internet browsing you’ll burn through that in a week or so. After that they’ll charge you $7 dollars a MB! So you really need big pockets to actually use the thing. Currently Rogers cripples their current phones pretty badly and I don’t know when this thing will be available in Canada. We got iTunes later than Europe, probably because it had to be bi-lingual English/French.

Also I see this thing getting scratched pretty easy, like an iPod. And you probably can’t use a screen protector since then the touch-screen will stop working. But it sure looks nice.

I hardly use my pre-paid phone, but would crave for this thing for the ‘computer-in-your-pocket’ functionality alone. If you could buy it without 2 year contract. But I’ll bet then the price will go up considerably since I’m sure Apple gets a kickback from the phone companies. And I’m so not going to spend $1000 dollar on something that will be lost very easily, and that breaks when you drop it.

5. Michelon 09 Jan 2007 at 3:37 pm

The launch of iPhone reminds me of the launch of the Segway. All this hype, everyone wondering what it’s going to be, it’ll make news for a while, and then anyone who buys one will simply look silly and will not be allowed to use it on the sidewalks of Amsterdam.
    Okay, you may be able to use it on the sidewalks of Amsterstam, but you get my point.

6. mareon 09 Jan 2007 at 3:53 pm

Actually Segways are not street legal in Amsterdam. And certainly not allowed on sidewalks…

7. DAVEon 10 Jan 2007 at 12:18 am

I go through all the trouble of pimping your article and no pinging allowed…. just not fair ;)

Anyway great article. And great read

8. blorkon 10 Jan 2007 at 12:32 am

Sorry Dave. I turned off pinging because I was getting too many spam pings. But thanks for the pimpage!

9. julienon 10 Jan 2007 at 1:41 am

dude, i totally pimped your ass on Reddit before Dave pimped you. i’m… uh, more awesome, or something.

10. blorkon 10 Jan 2007 at 10:03 am

OK, peer pressure. I’ve re-enabled pings for this post. Maybe I’ll re-enable it across the board, now that I’ve got the spam problem under control.

11. DAVEon 10 Jan 2007 at 10:59 am

Doesnt AKISMET filter the pings also?

12. blorkon 10 Jan 2007 at 11:41 am

Dave, it probably does. I’ve re-enabled pings across the board.

13. c'est Raoulon 10 Jan 2007 at 3:56 pm

Jorge: I am not convinced they are innovating in every sense. To me, they are also copying Micro$oft and other in many aspects: i.e in producing crap.

What’s the point of having a 650$ phone that lasts 2 years max. How many of you have an ipod that lasted that long. Most people I know are on their 2nd or 3rd. often no abuse (except some), really bad service and warranty.

Associating with such a company is their choice too.

The phone move is bright (they had no choice). But if they can’t have decent build quality (as they have with their computers), forget it. Ipods saved Apple, they might also ruin them too…

14. [...] Don’t get me wrong – I think the Apple iPhone is pretty slick. But there is that small problem of being locked into a two year contract with Cingular (which requires you to give up your constitutional rights). And now there’s another problem; Cisco Systems is suing Apple over the iPhone name. [...]

15. Cameronon 16 Jan 2007 at 1:25 pm

c’est Raoul, does my anecdotal evidence trump yours? My iPod mini is still going strong, as is my wife’s first gen shuffle. In fact, I can’t think of anyone who’s ipod has crapped out.