Jul 18 2005

Smoky BBQ Pizza!

Here’s something different: a smoky pizza from the barbeque!

On Saturday Martine and I were hankering for pizza, but it was too hot to fire up the oven, so I decided to try the barbeque route. I’ve seen this done on TV but had never tried it.

so nice

It started with the sauce — I adapted the grilled salsa recipe from a few weeks ago. I started by grilling a couple of tomatoes, some red onion slices, and a couple of cloves of garlic. (I also grilled some mushrooms at the time, but more about that later…)

yummyGrilled tomatoes are ready when the skins have split and the flesh starts to sag. I set them aside to cool, then I skinned them, squished them a bit, and put them in a strainer to drain off some of the liquid. In the meantime I chopped up the red onions and garlic and put them in a bowl. I added some salt and pepper, and a big handful of herbs from the garden (basil, oregano, and parsley), then mixed in the drained tomatoes. I finished it with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. (Disclosure: as you can see in the photo, I had only two tomatoes, which wasn’t enough for two pizzas, so I added some chopped tomatoes from a jar.)

One of my favorite pizza combinations is mushrooms and bacon, which seems like a perfect match to the smokiness of outdoor grilling. So be it. I grilled the mushrooms in advance, because raw mushrooms on a pizza simply don’t compare with grilled ones. In fact, I recommend pre-cooking mushrooms whenever you put them on pizza. The same goes for bacon. Nobody wants greasy undercooked bacon on a pizza. Precooking the bacon is particularly important when making the kind of pizza that cooks really quickly, like my smoky BBQ pizza!

The real trick with making a pizza on the barbeque is the crust — barbeque pizza dough needs to be cooked in advance. It should also be fairly thick, because a thin crust won’t be firm enough to stand up to the grill.

I used a regular pizza dough recipe, cut into two balls. I rolled them out into two thick 10-inch discs, which I dropped on the grill over medium-low heat, then closed the lid.

dough-rey-me!

It cooks fast! I rotated the discs after a couple of minutes, and soon after they were ready to flip. (It’s important to rotate the discs so as to not burn the dough if your grill has hot spots. Also, it reminds you to keep an eye on them!)

Here’s the key: cook the dough on one side, but only half-cook it on the other side. Then remove it from the grill and quickly dress the pizza, but dress it on the cooked side!

Note: go easy on the cheese. Because this pizza cooks from below, it won’t melt and brown the cheese the way a regular oven does.

All dressed up, and onto the grill! Again, rotate the pizzas a couple of times, but try not to lift the grill cover too high while doing so, so you don’t let the heat out. Remember that the crust is already half-cooked on the bottom, so it will finish in about three minutes. If you’re using a gas grill, you can turn off the flame and let it sit in the warm enclosure for another couple of minutes.

looks nice on the plate

Oh my, it was good! We ate a pie and a half, and warmed up the remaining half the next day for lunch. Mmmmmm!

looks nice on the plate

Categorized under Food and Drink,Recipes

11 Comments on “Smoky BBQ Pizza!”

1. C'est Raoulon 18 Jul 2005 at 11:03 am

oh shit!

2. blorkon 18 Jul 2005 at 12:05 pm

Uh… is that good shit or bad shit?

3. AROMAISM~アロマ主義on 18 Jul 2005 at 12:36 pm

3連休はいかがでしたか?

3連休は,友人が泊まりにきて,BBQをした。 BBQ,久しぶりで「さて? BBQ…

4. C'est Raoulon 18 Jul 2005 at 2:19 pm

It’s well above good!!!!

I like the sudden progression of the pictures. Couple of vegetables, almost everything is raw (not cooked) and then…

IN YOUR FACE: PIZZA!!!

Slurps….

5. Marcon 18 Jul 2005 at 3:03 pm

Damn that looks tasty! What kind of mushrooms are those?

6. Susanon 18 Jul 2005 at 3:48 pm

Oh, drool! This is my favorite fetish site. :)

Btw, if I haven’t told you this already, you should know that your guacamole recipie has become a staple in my house, and makes us veeery popular at parties.

7. Susanon 18 Jul 2005 at 3:49 pm

Argh… Recipe!recipe!recipe!

That one gets me every time.

8. blorkon 18 Jul 2005 at 5:26 pm

Marc, the mushrooms are “portobellinis,” which are basically just small portobellos. Portobellos (aka, portabellas) are just big crimini mushrooms, which are those regular button mushrooms, but the brown ones (sometimes called “coffee” mushrooms).

In other words, crimini mushrooms are those small coffee mushrooms. If they get a bit bigger they call them portobellinis, so they can charge more for them. When they get even bigger they call them portobellos so they can charge yet again more for them.

What a racket!

Susan, I’m glad to hear my guacamole recipe is getting around. :-)

9. jonzon 18 Jul 2005 at 8:28 pm

Now that is a great hot weather pizza!! You can funk it up more by layering the cheese both above and below topings, that way it doesn’t sit hard on the pizza. You are making me really hungry!

10. Patrickon 18 Jul 2005 at 10:54 pm

Jeeeez. I’ve had dinner and you’re still making me hungry. Bastard!

11. Mikeon 05 Aug 2005 at 9:59 am

What, no nude barbecue?

It will come to no surprise to many that Sub Rosa has a clothing optional policy. We’ve been known to cook topless with only the benefit of a kitchen apron separating us from the flame. Nude barbecue, while not the rule can happen on hot summer evening at Sub Rosa.

This ‘tradition’ started with our wait staff. It was late July – the week of the annual International Pinot Noir Celebration and it was quite hot outside. We had to chill our Pinot Noir before serving because of the heat.

One wardrobe malfunction led to another that evening and soon the entire wait staff was topless. Being a huge wine tasting weekend, Sub Rosa was filled out-of-towners including some French guests. There is something about being on vacation that releases the inhibitions. It wasn’t long until half the female guests had doffed their tops as well. You would have thought you were at some French Rivera private party, but no – just another magical weekend night at Sub Rosa in Dundee.

Smoking and grilling meat is another tradition as old as mankind. Starting in May, the meat smoker is going once a week or more. Smoked salmon or pork rule at Sub Rosa, though in the fall time we are partial to a side of local venison to smoke. Nearly all the wood used for the smoker and grilling comes from the property here. Cherry, hazelnut, prune, walnut, apple and pear wood all contribute to the ‘terroir of smoke’.